Saturday, March 14, 2009

If you reep what you sew, I'll get a lot of strings...

**Disclaimer: I realize it's not so smart to begin sewing my trying to make a quilt. It's the only thing I have any interest in making. Therefore, the only thing I'd be motivated enough to try to learn by doing- I'd just give any other project up after 2 hours of no success. Also, if I royally mess up one section, I can just toss those squares. I realize it will take several weeks/months to finish the project. **

I decided yesterday I wanted to finally figure out my sewing machine! Apparently sewing is something taught not learned without someone to aide in the learning portion. After trial and error I figured out you must lower the foot and how to get the thread from the bobbin wheel 'up'.
Nonetheless, it now continues to nest (I think after much research this is the correct term for when the thread gets knotted up - really knotted up- under your fabric near the bobbin wheel area. Not an expert at the sewing terminology.) I have all my squares cut out, washed, dried, and ready to sew together.
Notice I said ready to sew together, not sewn together. This is the problem. My next step is now to seek help.
Not mental help *because after today I almost need it* but with the sewing machine... I'm sure David will have some kind of comment for that.
On a positive note, here are some pictures of what I did successfully accomplish!
I got smart and made a cardboard template. I didn't want to invest in the fancy equipment so I toughed it out and cut out 28 squares out by hand!


Here are the four fabrics I picked out! I love the look of them together. Now to just get them sewn together!!
I did read and study enough to know that you must wash and dry your fabric before you sew it together - unless you never plan to wash it!
My three pieces sewn together. You should see the back, there is soo much excess string from where it kept 'nesting' and I'd cut it and start again. Ha. Someday, I will get such a laugh out of this!
Also, Alex came to eat tonight. I hope he knows how much he really does mean to us. He's like a little brother to Daniel and I and a true joy to be around. I look forward to watching him continue to mature into a Christian young man. We love you, Alex!

He was pitching a fit because Daniel hid his shoe and he was ready to go home. I told him to smile. Appearantly, this was all I was getting. So, I took it!


3 comments:

Granna said...

If it keeps nesting, you have some type of threading or tension problem- most likely threading. Once you get the hang, it goes much easier. I like the fabric very much- great contrast and colors.

Paul said...

What's up with Daniel hiding people's shoes? Does he do that at work too? I can see Brother Jenkins looking for his....

David Courington said...

Sew, you are having sewing problems? Sew, now you know it is sew hard to sew. I doubt it is a mental problem at all, sew I think you will sew it through.