Friday, January 21, 2011

Friday Fun..

I had a little fun last night and made Hallie a hairbow holder.

I purchased 9 rolls of (3 yd) ribbon, 4 paint colors, a 5 in by 5 in canvas, and a wooden 'h'.  I painted the canvas brown, but messed up so it ended up beige on top with brown sides.  The wooden letter was painted pink, and I made the polka dots on the letter by dipping the end (round, hard end not brush side) into the paint and dabbing it on the letter.  I learned this trick from painting pottery at one of the DIY pottery places a long time ago!  The polka dots are always perfect though.  I free-handed stripes on the sides.  On the top of the canvas, I drew half circles from the middle of each side to the edge to frame the letter.  I was very excited with how it turned out!  I got impatient and wanted it to dry faster so I used the hair dryer on it.  I painted a second coat on before the first coat dried, so that's where the crackled effect came from, but I love it even more. 


I attached a 10 inch piece of ribbon to the back of the canvas with two small nails to work at a hanger at the top.  I then tied my pieces of various ribbon to give it the fullness I wanted at the top.  I cut the various pieces of ribbon about 10 inches long as well.

Here it is without the wooden letter on it.  (Please excuse the towel with paint stains as my backdrop.  I was painting on my dining room table.  Yes, the GOOD dining room table.  Don't tell my Mom, please!)

I still need to add the ribbon that the hairbows will actually clip onto.  The canvas was still wet last night, so I didn't want the ribbons to get into the wet paint on the canvas!  I love the imperfections in it; it makes it look very hand made! 

1 comment: