Wednesday, March 26, 2008

In Loving Memory



My heart is oh so heavy as I type this post. Today has been a solemn day for me as I remember the life and devotion of Judy Smith.
When we first came to Glencoe almost 2 years ago, I was instantly drawn to a soft spoken, generous lady. She became my adopted grandmother very fast. She spoke nothing but kind, pure thoughts. She has always been weak and easily tired due to a heart condition; however, she was always at services. Judy Smith passed away and her life was honored today in Jasper, AL at her funeral. Her life will be remembered as a positive experience for everyone she came into contact with. She had a "tea party" at her house annually to celebrate the Holiday Season even when she probably didn't feel like having company. She worked on this special occassion year round. The second picture above was taken at Christmas 2006. I was blessed enough to participate in this lovely occassion for two years. No one went home without beautiful handmade treats and a nice Christmas gift. At the party this past year, she had a beautiful, child's farm (full/queen size) themed quilt on one of her beds upstairs. I asked her where she had gotten it hoping to get one for my nursery for my children someday. She said she'd bring it to me on Sunday. I didn't think much else of it. Sunday at services she brought me the blanket! Turns out it was a gift from her daughter, and she wanted my children to use it someday. I was speechless. I couldn't help but feel guilty; I just wanted to know where she had gotten it. I honestly figured she had it specially made. That blanket is one of my most prized material possesions today because of the lesson I learned from her sharing her quilt with me. It is truly a "quilt of love." I will share the blanket AND story of Judy Smith's life and example with my children in the future. I hope I can be as generous, kind, pure, and selfless as she was.
Thank you Judy for everything you taught me. I love you and miss you dearly already. I've thought of you everyday since I last saw you in mid-December, but I know I will see you again someday.
Judy is the first person to pass away since we began worshipping at Glencoe that "hit close ot home". Please, please, please keep her husband, Jim, in your prayers in the upcoming months and years. He also means as much to me and Glencoe as Judy did.

No comments: